McElvaney Motors

McElvaney Motors

Scania

Our History


In 1937, the first Commercial Vehicle the McElvaney family owned  was purchased by Terry  McElvaney (Oliver’s father – who subsequently established McElvaney Motors).

It was a 1934 Ford V8.  Petrol engine. Conventional cab. Average speed: 25-30 miles per hour – obviously road conditions affected the speed!! This truck carried about 5-ton and was used for the haulage of turf during and after the Second World War. 

The second truck purchased by Terry was a 1947 Austin K4  -  straight 6 cylinder petrol engine.

This truck was also used for drawing turf.  In late 40’s/early 50’s, buses were scarce, so these trucks were even used to ‘draw’ people to matches in Croke Park!!

Family
Image

Terry used these trucks in the haulage of livestock and periodically, turf.  Terry’s son, Oliver, obviously grew up around trucks.  It was not surprising that he gained a great knowledge about them and also developed a special interest in trucks in general.  So much so that later in life he had his own trucks and was transport manager in a local Monaghan company! 

It was in 1979 that he started his own company, McElvaney Motors Ltd. Having acquired the Scania Dealership in 1984, Oliver’s hard-graft and exceptional business acumen enabled his success and development of the business continue. Oliver sadly died in 2001 which was the end of an era. His son, Adrian, took over and remains as Managing Director today.

And to think, it all started with a 1934 Ford V8!!!

1987

1987

1987

1995

1987

2001

1987

2002